July 23, 2003

Somthing to Show


I finally got the binding sewn on and the piece hemmed for Josh's room. This is the one I twisted diagonally and poured three different colors over. A technique which worked great on a 1 yard piece did not do as well on a 6' by 9' piece of fabric. The dye didn't get into the center so there were lots of bare spots. I was going to paint on more dye, but didn't know how that would turn out, so I decided to over dye the whole thing. I wet it and spun it out in the washer. Then I smooshed it into a dishpan, poured the remaining blue over it, poured soda ash after about 30 minutes, then put the whole thing in a trash bag and waited about 8 hours. I was really pleased, because I worried that the yellow would turn green, but all was well. Josh really loves it, it's the desert colors he wanted. He came home from the shore today for a visit and he'll be taking it to his college apartment tonight.


I flicked some of the locks I dyed at Claudia's last weekend and spun it up. I was going for a really rough look since I want some texture in my felted fish. The color sure is tropical and the corrie is so soft. It should felt well.


Posted by Charleen at July 23, 2003 03:02 PM
Comments

The blanket looks really good! Very gutsy of you to overdye it like that. Here's a nice pat on the back...//patpatpat//

Posted by: claudia at July 23, 2003 04:33 PM

It was only muslin so I wasn't too worried. I put reinforcement across the top so he can thumbtack to his wall. He can't paint and he heard fabric on the walls makes the surround sound better :-) He's his father's kid, that's for sure!

Posted by: Charleen at July 23, 2003 07:42 PM